Getting into and surviving college, language barrier, and being an engaging student.

Hi chattyPhD friends! Today I would like to emphasize the crucial role of being an engaging student  as well as adding a little more to my academic journey.
 
How do you act when confronted by a language you were not taught growing up? Maybe for you results in an awkward conversation that involves hand miming.
 
For me it involved a daily routine of watching Criminal Minds, reading school assignments, and speaking in front of a mirror.
 
Until this day the English language is an obstacle. For me it takes extra dedication and work when writing a sentence, or reading papers. However, there is always an upside.
 
Entering college requires students to pass several standardized exams. Back when I was in high school, the tests were the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT), SAT, ACT, among others.
 
After only one year in an American high school and attempting to continue my pursuit to be a scientists there were some major road blocks. 
 
My first roadblock were the FCATs. After three attempts in the writing portion and and two attempts on the reading portion I felt that no university would take me. To top it off my SAT and ACT exams scores' were among the lowest percentile. However, I embraced my failures and hoped that my passed  academic performance and Math skills would help me get into college. 
 
When admitted to Hillsborough Community College my years of English as a second language were not over. It took 3 more semesters until HCC decided it was time to enter regular college classes.
 
Engaging in club activities helped me create a sense of community and improve my English skills. 
 
Sometimes I felt like an outsider. However, if you tell yourself you are an outsider every day, you will never get pass the door of nonacceptance.
 
It takes resilience, patients, and being kind to yourself to gain a grasp in your English skills as well to be closer to people that are different than you. 
 
Results of your new attitudes can help you be more open, which is great for networking and expanding your social and professional circle. It can help you engage with your community in a positive manner and overall make you feel connected. 
 
Thanks to my engaging attitude in college I expanded my social interactions, created a community, and improved my English skills.
Being engaging during college helped me be successful in many areas and helped me collect many experiences.
 
By the end of college I completed my English as a second language requirements; was president of the student government; earned entrance to an Honor Society; participated in an international Honors Society meeting; mentored other underrepresented students about going to college; participated and organized various student government related events; managed a $100, 000 year budget for Student Government; learned to delegate tasks to other clubs and communicated with faculty and facility workers about students needs. 

          All of these accomplishments while taking a 4 hour ride every day and working part time as a pharmacy tech at CVS pharmacy. So the road was bumpy. And it was! But it does not matter as long as from each road block there is a lesson to be learned. Take advantage of each opportunity and make it a fruitful one.
My final advise to you,
Turn your collection of struggles into swords, for they will be your weapon while going through academia. 

Achievements from College:

     
Poster Presentations 

USF Undergraduate Research Conference 2018


 ACS Orlando 2019

 

USF Castle Conference 2018 




       

Popular posts from this blog

From PhD to MS in Chemistry, now entering the work force.

Introduction to a Chemistry nerd

Viva Cuba! A story of how I came to America